Leura Cottage Accommodation
Old Leura Dairy
Quick Need to Know
Property Locality: Leura, BLUE MOUNTAINS
Type of Property: Six self-contained retreats
Number of Bedrooms: various: 1-5 bedroom lodges
Maximum Persons: 11 in large cottage
Children: suitable for children
CHECK LATEST RATES AND AVAILABILITY
About Old Leura Dairy
Old Leura Dairy is situated in Leura in the midst of the World Heritage listed Blue Mountains, close to Sydney, and yet a world of its own. With views of the Blue Mountains, The Old Leura Dairy offers unique, charming accommodation and landscaped gardens. The property offers a choice of self-contained accommodation, each individually styled.
Breakfast is served daily, consisting of locally made produce including muesli, jam and organic breads and juices. Fresh fruit, organic yoghurt and milk are also part of the breakfast. You can walk to Leura village, which has boutique shops, galleries and restaurants. There is a train station 3 km away, where you can take the train to Sydney.
Delivering four star comfort and facilities Old Leura Dairy is an award winning Eco-Tourism Retreat, has featured internationally on Television and widespread printed media as well as extensive local coverage including the Sydney Morning Herald, the Australian, House and Garden, coffee table publications and twice filmed for Foxtel.
FIND OUT MORE…
- The Straw Bale House
5 bedrooms each with a king size bed or 2 single beds, 3 bathrooms. The Straw Bale house attracts much attention from guests with its many comfortable areas, extensive use of recycled materials and reclaimed ‘treasures’ and, of course, the beautiful straw bale walls. 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms and sleeps 11 people.
- The Studio – sleeps 2
Cute, quaint and cosy. 1 room with a king size bed or 2 single beds, an ensuite bathroom with claw foot bath, and a kitchenette and gas BBQ
- The Worker’s Cottage
3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. 2 king size beds which can be split into 2 single beds and 1 double bed. The Worker’s Cottage is the original shelter for the “workers” of the dairy. While retaining its charming, old world personality it contains all the comforts of today. 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms allow comfortable accommodation for up to 6 people.
- The Milking Shed – sleeps 4
Retaining the quirks and characters of its chequered history it was a labour of love. – 1 hayloft bedroom with king size bed or 2 singles and 2 singles downstairs. A snug hideaway for 2 in the original hayloft and a slow combustion stove all add up to a wonderful holiday. Sleeps up to 4.
- Moo Manor – sleeps 4
2 bedrooms with king beds or 2 single beds, 2 ½ bathrooms, large open plan living area with full kitchen, TV, DVD, CD player, slow combustion fire and sunny covered deck.
- Buttercup Barn – sleeps 2
Loft bedroom with a king bed or 2 single beds, an ensuite bathroom with claw foot bath, slow combustion fire, tea, coffee and toast making facilities, TV, DVD, video, sound system.
- The Straw Bale House
The UNESCO World Heritage area of the Blue Mountains offers fabulous walking and hiking opportunities. Leura itself offers many attractions, cafes, restaurants, art galleries, boutique shops, bush walking activities, “hard” and “soft” eco-tourism and, for the golfing enthusiasts or corporate golfing event, we have wonderful courses just a 5 minute drive away.
- Recycling of building materials – We have resurrected all manner of things from structural materials (about 8,500 metres of timber), old fence palings, all the doors and windows to rusty old cast iron tubs and ancient cream urns.
- Passive solar design of The Straw Bale House ensures minimal use of our precious resources due to the huge insulation value (approximately R43) of the straw bale walls, and design features that maximize collection of heat in the winter and minimise heat ingress in the summer.
- The aspect of the buildings allow the sun’s warming rays to enter the house in winter, heating the thermal mass of the tile floors and mud brick walls. This heat is, in turn, released back into the room at night and so a more constant ambient temperature is maintained.
- The mud brick walls also collect the heat generated by the fireplaces.
- The central cooling tower has the function of both beauty and creating an airflow channel within the house. The hot summer air rises up the tower and out the open vents while drawing air in from the cooler southern side of the house.
- All storm water from the roofs is channelled into gravel pits and returns to the water table instead of running off into gutters.
- The garden features natives which have been planted to stabilize the soil, as well as drought tolerance, food sources and growth cycles that ensure continuity of life and provide shelter for insects, birds and animals
- Recycled toilet paper,
- Organic aloe vera soap, and
- Environmentally friendly “detergents” in our properties. In cleaning our properties we use colloidal cleaning products – the most friendly cleaning products available.
- Guests are encouraged to recycle where possible, and to use our compost bags for their fruit and vegetable scraps so we can feed our earth!
Host: Shaina Gliener and Michael Hennessy
Address: 61 Kings Road, Leura 2780 NSW
PRICE RATE POLICY
Every enquiry and booking through GREEN GETAWAYS AUSTRALIA shows your support for the fabulous environmental initiatives undertaken by Old Leura Dairy. Our policy is not to charge any properties listed on GGA commission for your booking, so you know your payment will all go directly to support Australian ecotourism at Old Leura Dairy.
CLICK HERE TO MAKE A DIRECT ENQUIRY TO OLD LEURA DAIRY